Christ Feeds Us – Br. David Allen

Mk 16:9-15, 20

Each year as we celebrate Easter and the season of Eastertide we are given the opportunity to renew and refresh our experience of Jesus’ Resurrection in the lessons and hymns and prayers of our worship. Our Eucharistic hymns also remind us that every Sunday is a commemoration of Jesus’ Resurrection.

Year by year we can hold the mystery of that great event close to our hearts, and learn again to treasure its meaning for each of us.

Several of our hymns remind us each time we sing them that Christ feeds us in the Holy Eucharist, and in our other prayer and worship as well. That is also part of the mystery for us to think about and cherish.

When we look at the ending of Mark’s Gospel read today I think we can recognize that it is much more abrupt than those of the other Gospels.  It seems to be a synopsis of the experiences related in the other Gospels.  For that reason we need to focus more on the fact of the Resurrection, rather than the details of the various accounts of the several appearances.

You may have noticed in the accounts of Christ’s Post-Resurrection appearances that those to whom Jesus appeared did not immediately recognize him.  It was not until Jesus did something that they knew who it was.

He spoke to Mary Magdalene in the garden outside the tomb.

He broke bread for the two whom he met walking in the country.

He spoke to the others whom he met in a room where the doors were shut.

In the Fourth Gospel, after having spoken with the disciples who were gathered by the Sea of Tiberius, Jesus gave them something to eat.

When we are gathered together for worship, as we are now, our Lord feeds us also, in various ways, through the ministry of those called to do so.

Meditating on these things can help us to recognize the ways in which we are fed; and the ways in which we come to know Jesus.

[Form]

1. Ruth West on April 19, 2016 at 01:29

Br. David, your sermons illustrate so beautifully that a sermon does not necessarily need to be long to get across the intended message. Thank you for reminding us that every Sunday is a little Easter, and that Christ feeds us. Also, I especially appreciate the message that Jesus was not recognized until he did something. I think that we, too, will not be recognized as His followers until we do something to show forth His love.

2. Sonya Magdalene Dunne on April 17, 2016 at 09:25

Christ is Risen. Hallelujah!

3. Jane on April 17, 2015 at 23:22

The Eucharist is always areminder of what Jesus did for us in all humility. I think it is hard for many people to understand the mystery around the blessing of the bread and wine and yet everyone realizes it’s significance for our community as a remembrance of Our Lord.
    Thank you.

4. David Cranmer on April 17, 2015 at 18:10

Thanks for the reminder that the disciples only recognized Jesus when He did something.

5. Joanna. Cotter on April 16, 2015 at 19:47

I find my church community is awash w/love & always ready to share this gift so that I am fed .

6. Sari Hedinger on April 15, 2015 at 10:11

Your posts have become part of my daily practice of prayer. I am a DOK and all of you have become part of my daily prayers.

7. N on April 15, 2015 at 09:31

Thank you for sharing these thoughts of Brother David. May we all be vigilant and hopeful during our own various journeys to Emmaus.

8. Mike Domingue on April 15, 2015 at 09:26

As I have rediscovered my faith this year, I found your SSJE messages of love during this season of renewal. All of you have helped me deepen my faith so that I am filled with the love of Christ.

9. Juliet Henderson on April 15, 2015 at 08:06

I have been reading your posts since the beginning of Lent, and each one is deeply nourishing for my faith, and helps guide me in my own living out of God’s will for me. Thank you and thank you again.

10. Kathy on April 15, 2015 at 07:22

Thank you.

11. John David Spangler on April 15, 2015 at 05:56

I am blessed and fed by you and all the Brothers. Thank you! Cheers! Peace! Love!