Welcome to The Society of Saint John the Evangelist

Where Our Feet Are – Br. John Braught

Br. John Braught

Advent is a time of expectant waiting. We wait for the coming of the Savior, the birth of Jesus. We expect that when the Savior comes – and He will come – He will lead us in the way we should go. The prophet Isaiah reminds us, “Thus says the Lord, Your Redeemer: I am the Lord your God, who teaches you for your own good, who leads you in the way you should go.” (i) Yes, we who follow Jesus can expect Him to lead us; but first, Advent reminds us, we have to wait. We have to wait for the Savior. We have to wait before He can lead us in the way we should go.

A lot of us don’t like to wait. Waiting tries our patience, and tests our faith. Waiting keeps us from doing the things we really want to be doing. Waiting keeps us from getting on with our lives, and from becoming the people we are sure God wants us to be. So we want God to lead us. Now. We want to know God’s plans and ambitions for our lives. Now. We want to know how the story ends, what the right decision to make is, and what exactly God would have us do. Now.

But we have to wait, and that means living without all the answers. Waiting means there will be times – it’s been true in my life, and maybe you’ve had the experience, too – when we want to follow Jesus, but we won’t know what to do. Waiting means there will be times when we want to follow Jesus, but we won’t know where to turn, or in which direction we ought to head. Waiting means not being too hasty or eager to move ahead, or figure it out.

Waiting is about standing still. It’s about being where we are, where our feet are. That is where God is and that where God wants us to be: where our feet are. Waiting, waiting for the Savior, so He can lead us in the way we should go. Waiting is above all a time to prepare: a time to prepare the way of the Lord. It is a time to look at our feet, to see where we are, and to be present there. It is a time to examine our lives: to ask ourselves what we want, what we hope for, what we may need to let go of, and to take it to God in prayer. Waiting is God’s invitation to go deeper, to deepen our relationship with Him, so we learn to trust Him. Because when the time is right – and God is always on time – the Savior will come, and He will lead us in the way we should go. But first we have to wait.

i Isaiah 48:17

[Form]

1. Ann on December 11, 2015 at 10:20

I needed that. Thank you.

2. Muriel Akam on December 10, 2015 at 15:15

This is a lovely sermon. I am at a time where I am unsure about a lot of things but you have reminded me that our Saviour will lead me- I just need to be patient. In God’s time I will have answers .

3. Barbara on December 9, 2015 at 16:33

I am doing a lot of waiting these days. waiting for my foot to heal so i can get out of this boot and back to my ‘regular’ life. Waiting for others to for the things I can not do right now. I think I should be better at waiting.by now.

4. anders on December 9, 2015 at 14:00

Thank you for the reminder. Wait. Be where my feet are. To have faith, to let go, to prepare. It’s countercultural, even the church I go to is celebrating Christmas in Advent, epiphany as the theme of the third Advent. I’m confused as I seek hunger and get over-stimulation, a false satiety of holiday kitsch cheer. So I will rest in the darkness of my Nordic ancestors who felt the world was coming to an end in the darkness that blankets everything, even the soul. To wait for the wheel of life, root of the word “yule”, to wait for where that savior wheel will lead me, in and out of the known tracts of life, waiting.

• Judy Terwilliger on December 10, 2015 at 11:38

This is my harsh winter–the darkness that blankets everything–especially my soul. My mother died in September. She was the last of the adults who raised me. With her death I am grieving the death of a world, my childhood. Like death, grief happens in God’s time. So I wait for new life.
      Thank you for the post. Your Nordic ancestors spoke to me too.

5. Polly Chatfield on December 9, 2015 at 11:20

I love your thought that God is always on time. It is true, but I keep having to learn it over and over. Thanks so much for the reminder.

6. Mino Sullivan on December 9, 2015 at 10:48

Thank you, Br John. As one who is constantly thinking and planning about what comes next, you words are very helpful.

7. Tudy Hill on December 9, 2015 at 09:50

Thank you, John, for the image of looking at our feet…where we are right now. That helps reduce the ‘burden’ of where we were, and where we might go. Also appreciate your comment, “God is always on time”!

8. Christopher Engle Barnhart on December 9, 2015 at 08:26

I am told that there is a phrase in the army that goes like this: “Hurry up and wait.” This is so true this Advent season. As we hurry about preparing our home with decorating, buying those special for family and friends,
    buying the special food for the feast of Christmas. We are hurrying here and there. But we still have to wait. When our children were small, we would buy them Advent Calendars in which each day had a door to open and a message inside. It was a meaningful way for them to count down the days to wait for Christ’s birth and Christ’s return.

9. Michael on December 9, 2015 at 07:47

To find the benefit in waiting has been elusive for me, but your words have helped. Thank you

10. Corey Walmer on December 9, 2015 at 07:12

Thank you, John for the reminder that God’s timing is always right, that He shows up on time!

11. Rev. Ray Andersen on December 9, 2015 at 05:37

Br. David,
    Your videos in ASL are wonderful. I’ve passed them along to mutual friends in ECD and deaf community here in Ct. Your good work is very much appreciated.

Ray Andersen
    Cheshire, CT

12. Roderic Brawn on December 9, 2015 at 05:33

In a place like today’s it takes a letting go of acquired habits to let go and Be.

13. Bob on December 19, 2013 at 05:47

“Waiting is about standing still. It’s about being where we are, where our feet are.”
    Br. John I love this line. I am taking it into my Advent store of sayings. It’s just so wonderful. Thank you Margo