Welcome to The Society of Saint John the Evangelist

Winter 2014 Cowley

The Winter 2014 issue of Cowley continues the theme of the Reconciliation focusing on reconciliation with the Creation.

In the Monastic Wisdom insert on “Reconciliation,” Br. Curtis Almquist suggests why and how to prepare our hearts for the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Download a PDF here.

Cowley-Winter_40_2_CoverClick on the links below to read selected articles from the Winter 2014 Cowley Magazine:

1. Br. James Koester delves into the scriptural meaning of gardens and how they reflect our deepest longings.
  2. Can we “own” any part of Creation? Br. Mark Brown relates the Brothers’ experience of stewardship at Emery House.
  3. The renovated Cloister Garden at the Monastery opens the door for a new relationship with Creation, which Br. Robert L’Esperance shares.
  4. Br. Jonathan Maury tells of his journey to the Monastery: a slow conversion of being called to wholeness of living.

There are many ways to read and share this Cowley magazine:

Tell us what you think of this Cowley Magazine in the comments below.
We welcome your comments, letters, or ideas for future articles.

1. Rev. George Moyser (FSJ) on June 2, 2016 at 12:17

I always look forward to receiving the magazine and often read it instead of Compline! I particularly like the articles about how the brothers became called to the monastic life. It has attracted me since my early years when I would go to the Community of the Resurrection in England. I was drawn to this comment by Br. Jim Woodrum’s article in the current magazine, especially how it took him several years for the call to ‘mature’ in his heart. It reminds me of how I took several years, more to be truthful, to respond to my call to ordained ministry. I also note he is originally from South Carolina where I am now resident. It makes me wish SSJE had a presence in the South as they once did! Boston is now so far away!

2. Elizabeth N Anderson on October 14, 2015 at 13:27

Wow! Everything stops when the Cowley comes – I have to read it immediately. I usually save just the part of an issue that moved me but this issue, Fall 2015, is so full of wisdom and inspiration it will be kept in its entirety
    Thank you so much .

3. Deacon Ralph Anderson on September 15, 2015 at 16:35

Dear Br. Jim,
    Thank you for your inspiring article, including the beautiful picture, on Living in Rhythm, Following Nature’s Rule, using your experiences with living more closely to nature at Emery House. Well done! I hope to visit again someday. It’s especially beautiful & colorful during the month of October during the Fall foliage.

4. gwedhen nicholas on October 3, 2014 at 16:25

Dear Brothers,
    Cowley magazine always makes me think of my grandfather, Reid MacCallum. He used to spend quiet time at your house in Bracebridge Ontario. In fact he died there of a heart attack. You all seem very close to me as a result and you make me feel connected to a grandfather who I never had the privilege to meet.
    Gwedhen

5. Lawrence H. Bradner on May 22, 2014 at 16:01

I sometimes read the latest Cowley over a few weeks or even longer. In this issue the statements by individuals about how the Society has affected their lives drew me in; read the whole thing in a few days!
    Especially the words of the Interns and most especially what Sarah Brock wrote about the compline prayer and “endless cycles” of projects. In a long retirement, it seems every little thing I intend takes much more time and effort than before, so her words and the prayer are just right for me–just right for getting ready to leave this life and to look ahead expectantly. Thanks!…………………..Larry

6. Nancy Reynolds on April 25, 2014 at 11:17

I love the Cowley magazine I recieve quarterly. I have not yet recieved the Spring 2014.
    I hope to get it soon.