Love Life: Vocation Conversation

This week’s videos will take up the theme of Vocation. As you get ready for the week, we invite you to listen in on a conversation about Vocation between the Novice Guardian, Br. David Vryhof, and Brs. Luke Ditewig and John Braught. We hope their questions will start your thinking about your own, and give you a glimpse into the Brothers’ daily life as monks who look to the Gospel of John to guide their own lives of love. We hope this coming week will help you to #LoveLife.

Question:

Can you grow into where your heart leads you?
Write your Answer – click here

1. Sr. Donna Morgan on April 11, 2014 at 09:18

I believe that growing into where your heart leads you is God’s plan for our lives. Sometimes we grow quickly and other times we grow at the pace we need to in order to learn what we need to know to be the best at the task God has presented us with.

2. Barbara Harris on April 10, 2014 at 12:17

I think that for me it is not a matter of growing into where my heart leads me but allowing myself to return to where my heart keeps calling me. For years I struggled against the notion of the nurturing mother as my defining vocation, now I am coming to rest in it. Wife and Mother are not derogatory words. They are vocations and quite rewarding to boot!

3. Charlotte Cole on April 9, 2014 at 02:57

I think that growing into your vocation to follow Jesus & learn from him is a life long journey which can only be truly fulfilled when we meet with him in heaven when all things will be revealed & make sense.

4. Deacon Susan in California on April 8, 2014 at 07:30

I’m on my way to a Holy Week and Easter retreat with the Sisters of the Community of the Transfiguration, and while there I’ll be pondering this issue of vocational growth. God, through the SSJE Brothers, has put this topic before me in God’s usual right timing!

5. Kathryn on April 7, 2014 at 11:08

As was noted, the very word, growth, requires obstacles. What a great reminder when I am in the midst of challenges….

6. John Okerman on April 7, 2014 at 09:58

Yes. I think you can grow vocationally where your heart leads you but I think God is doing the leading. I am now retired from a variety of careers but the one single trait that stands out in all of the careers is that of a teacher, trainer, and a person who helps others. One career was as a teacher, another as a Marine Corps officer and war fighter, and finally one as a person in marketing for a business. In all of these careers I found opportunities to help others and make their lives better. I think God led me in this direction.

• Eva on April 9, 2014 at 09:49

And is still leading you, John, in your retirement.

7. Michael Kolenick on April 7, 2014 at 04:55

I continue to grow; it’s an ongoing process for me.
    God has let me in many directions throughout my life, and He continues to do so to this day.

8. Beth on April 7, 2014 at 02:33

Yes, It is part of the journey and an adventure! In my 70+ yrs , forever changing and sometimes chalenging. It has been part of my growing faith.

9. Ruth West on April 6, 2014 at 18:49

I innwardly fret a bit that I cannot do the things that I once did so easily. But I know that God knows me better than I know myself. I have the time now to read, meditate and write. I love music and enjoy having the time to play the piano. I sometimes lie in bed at night naming my many blessings. God has called me in the past; calls me now to do what I can, and will call me to continue in His service. By His grace I am saved.

10. Kathleen Sheehy on April 6, 2014 at 17:12

I can certainly relate to the idea that barriers to overcome do not mean God is not in the calling. After a 20plus year rollercoaster ride of a career as an actor, I still believe it’s what God has called me to do. If I looked at how easily things fell into place as an indication of that, I wouldn’t still be following this crazy path!

11. Dorothy Brown on April 6, 2014 at 16:46

My heart led me to be a chef, and I did so for many years. Now however, my job is mostly computer work, not cooking, so I no longer can express my love through food. I am opening my heart to see where God wants me to go next.

12. gwedhen nicholas on April 6, 2014 at 15:44

Yes, I too hope that I can grow into where my heart is leading me. I discovered recently that the granting of my hearts desire isn’t something which God will deal with in the future, it is something that He is giving me right now. I am living through a time of intense healing and growth in a secure and enabling environment. I believe that through this process I am transforming in a way which leads me to future heart desires into which I am being led in Gods’ good and wholesome way. In His time.

13. Cush on April 6, 2014 at 14:54

At this stage of my life it is easier to not hear the call to change or to think of vocation, but I firmly believe that it does not end just because I am getting older. My parish is going through a very difficult time and I have to be very quiet in order to hear the call through the cacophony of rumor, half truths, untruths, and outright sabotage as I watch our numbers dwindle. I keep hearing a call that I can be part of the solution and have taken on some responsibilities that I thought I had been there done that and let someone else do it for a while. I need to use all the tools of discernment that I have learned over the years and hope I am hearing God’s call clearly.

14. Bob O. on April 6, 2014 at 13:58

I am growing into where God leads me. I have begun a new ministry as a diocesean consultant over the past few years since retiring from my secular occupation. I know this is my vocation, because God empowers me wtih insight into situations each time I go into a meeting with parish leadership.

15. Jim on April 6, 2014 at 11:41

I hope so but it requires God’s grace and my ability to be open to changes and new diretions.

16. Delia on April 6, 2014 at 10:59

How much space does God give us to experiment and try different things that are related to our heart’s loves and inclinations? I’ve always had trouble discerning which actions I take are following my own desires, and where those desires converge with God’s purposes…of course it’s an inner sense, but it is so connected to trust that if that part of you isn’t functioning well (the trusting part – because of doubt, fear, shame etc.) then you just don’t know if you are acting in accord with God’s purposes! Hence prayer…and its strange answers.

• Charles on April 7, 2014 at 10:29

Wow, Delia, thank you for naming where I’ve been the last couple of years. Fear, doubt, shame has kept me painfully ambivalent about my next step in life. God hear my prayer for guidance, have mercy.

17. Lorna Harris on April 6, 2014 at 10:27

A lot to ponder: where the call is from, what are the barriers, what is the call…

18. Margie Faulkner on April 6, 2014 at 09:18

Thank you for stating that maybe a job like raising children was a vocation. I pray everyday that I will go where He is leading me. Looking back on my life I hear “some people come into your life for a reason, or a season or forever”. Thank You Father for being with me through all, You are my forever. I feel a new vocation in the near future. May I turn to Him in everything and stop, listen and hear what He is saying to me. May I be humble and follow His way.

19. Christopher Epting on April 6, 2014 at 08:22

I hope so. Certainly I have grown in so many ways, over the years, as I sought to follow my vocation in ordained ministry. For example, as an introvert in an extroverted profession, I have been challenged, and empowered, to live in ways and function in situations I would never have thought possible.

20. Jennie M Anderson on April 6, 2014 at 07:31

I loved my life as a construction worker (all through my teens, my 20s and 30s), as a laborer when all I had to do was show up and be a part of the creative effort, adding my own small contribution and that was enough, more than enough… It was a privilege to be filled with just that simple task of doing my part, not your part too.
    Now, (in my 40s) I am no longer that person, I have shifted, moved, grown, transformed into a person who has many other gifts to bring, and yet at my soul foundation, it the fundamental level of myself, I am most privileged to simply give through a chore or task… to do my love for another rather than explain myself… My heart is full and hopeful. Thank you Br David, Br Luke and Br John as well as Br Curtis and Br David Allen for your message introducing the topic of vocation. Peace.