For God so Loved the World – Br. David Allen

John 3:16

When I was about 9 years old the Sunday-School I attended offered an incentive for memorizing Bible verses; a Bible with imitation leather cover.  One of the first verses I learned was the opening verse of today’s Gospel reading; John 3:16.  “God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.” I am not sure how much of it I really understood at 9. I knew at least that God loves the world, and he gave his only Son.

I had some idea that believing in Jesus would save us from perishing and give us eternal life, whatever that meant.  At least it was an important promise that someday I would come to understand.

In the years since that time I have come to understand more and more what those words mean.  In years yet to come I believe that my faith, my hope, and my love will lead me to even deeper levels of comprehending what we have heard in the Gospel read today.

A few weeks ago was my annual personal retreatI chose Abp. Wm. Temple’s book, Readings in Saint John’s Gospel for spiritual reading.

I had read that book in seminary and again here as a postulant, over 55 years ago.

During the retreat I found myself discovering even greater depths than I remembered from my earlier reading.

Abp. Temple wrote that he considered Jn 3:16 even more central than “The Word became flesh” (Jn 1:14) or “God is love,” (1 Jn 4:8b) significant as both of those phrases are!  He called that verse the heart of the Gospel. I have come to see what he meant. It shows us God’s love for the world!

That gift of love was an act of particular generosity, done once at a particular time and place.  God gave his only Son for us, for our salvation!

For years; for ages upon ages; theologians have struggled to explain with clarity how necessary it was that God’s gift of love included the Cross, the Resurrection, and the Ascension.

The important thing for us; for you and for me; is our acceptance of that Mystery.

With Faith, with Hope, and with Love God’s love for us can be seen.  It is there, waiting for us; waiting for our minds and hearts to be open to it.

1. Annalisa Sedgwicke on April 8, 2018 at 09:57

I had some difficulties as a child that impacted my life for several decades. Change became my best friend. When ever I discovered myself in unfamiliar territory, not knowing what was happening or how to behave I clung to God. Always knowing that the familiar was filled with pain I received the unknown with gratitude. In that way God taught me to welcome each mystery He offered me. With this constant love, profound beyond my comprehension then or now, I found my way. Today I live a grace filled life, filled with awe. God’s love, given one mystery at a time, made it possible.

2. Anders on April 8, 2018 at 09:22

I was hit over the head so much and shamed with that verse that I’d be happy to never read it again. Does it say that we have to have our “come to Jesus” moment as the church defines if we are to go to heaven? Or that our belief in an afterlife is more important that our actions on earth? I prefer to accept THE Mystery, and to learn about salvation in this life here and now in order to understand that Mystery.

There was a sense of shame my evangelical friend’s parents had in explaining how their daughter in law had a liver transplant because she had destroyed her life through alcoholism. I startled them in my reply to them: That is how I celebrate Christ’s resurrection: old life made new, past destruction and death given new life, new opportunity and new love. That is the salvation I will believe in and focus on for now, for it speaks of a rich life teaming with love and vitality. And if I die to become leaf mulch or to come to some pearly gates, I can say I have lived to know heaven on earth, an imperfect one filled with glory and grace, and that is enough.

3. CHRISTINA MCKERROW on April 8, 2018 at 08:50

And, what did we do? God gave us his Son and all that has meant to us over the centuriies.
    And, we killed him. Christina

4. Ruth West on May 8, 2014 at 13:35

John 3:16 indeed summarizes the heart of the gospel message. Praise His Name! Thanks for this good homily, Br. David.

5. Tinka Dawson on May 8, 2014 at 10:38

Thank you for the daily emails. I treasure them.