Ask the Right Question: Week 3 | Day 3

1. gwedhen nicholas on March 15, 2017 at 16:46

I am an organist, and play for services at my church. I feel as if this is an expression of God in my life. When I play, I hope that it is to Gods’ glory, and to the edification of the congregation. I hope that my playing points to Jesus, bringing him to those I play for.

2. Elaine Culver on March 15, 2017 at 10:49

I experience God in 1) the logical progression of liturgy, 2) the beauty of the words, ceremonial actions, flowers (except during Lent), and music, and 3)the grace and kindness of the participants, both clergy and laity.

3. Kristi Leighton on March 15, 2017 at 08:41

I have always loved the liturgical component of the Episcopalian faith. I grew up in it and for many years didn’t attend services at all. But when I returned several years ago, it all came back to me and moved me profoundly. I held the red Book of Common Prayer and it felt like home to me. I still feel that way, and certain parts of the service speak to me such as Confession of Sin and The Great Thanksgiving. There is something about the ritual of saying those words and phrases every week that gives me comfort. I’m sure I could recite the whole service by memory now, and I love feeling that sense of familiarity with it. I know it would seem totally foreign to a non-Episcopalian visiting a service for the first time. But when I really listen and study those words I try to use them as a way to go out and behave in a way that reflects God’s love for me to others.

4. Verlinda on March 14, 2017 at 21:50

My experience of worship expresses God’s mission for my life most profoundly when people pass me on the way to communion and reach out to shake my hand or pat me on the shoulder–loving, in-the-moment embraces that make God’s presence real.

5. Stan on March 14, 2017 at 19:45

When I was young, I was churched in a Disciples of Christ congregation, and we also received communion every week. Welch’s, and these tasteless little stale bread-like things which looked kinda like Pez. As youngsters, we joked about it being “refreshments”. I ended up marrying a nice girl from the church, but then we started our own lives, and grew away from the church, as well as each other.

Now, two marriages later, I’ve met the woman who God intended me to be with (and she’ll tell you God intended her to be with me), and she is a die-hard Episcopalian. Since I had originally been raised as a church-goer, I agreed to attend church with her, and we found a truly wonderful Episcopal congregation in our own neighborhood. The service is way different than any service I had attended before, which I initially thought was waaaaaaaaaay too formal … but I’ve adapted to it, and I eventually even joined the choir. Our preacher preaches Christ’s teachings (a.k.a.Love), rather than the man-made rules, regulations and by-laws of the Church, and the parish is absolutely filled with wonderful, loving people. And I truly believe that God is truly present within our congregation. I can just feel God’s Spirit … deep within my soul. And I continue to carry that Spirit within me when I leave.

6. Beth Redmond on March 14, 2017 at 17:05

I guess when it comes to reflecting on the liturgy what is most meaningful to me right now is being a lector. This is the first year I’ve taken part in this ministry and I must say it has been a blessing ways I would not have guessed.
    I had to go through a training to be licensed to do this. Others who have been lectors were also in attendance and it was very humbling to hear those who have engaged in this ministry for years, talk frankly about what performing this ministry means to them. Our pastor gave instruction that helped me realize that reading the word of God at Mass begins well before walking up to the lectern and reading from the page into the microphone. I learned how one prepares some days prior to this with reading the verses over and over, absorbing and internalizing and allowing God’s message to sink in and the meaning to become clear. When done with full awareness, the process is very nurturing as it makes me aware of the power of love and wisdom in the word of God that I will be communicating to the people of God. Being a lector has given me a deepened appreciation for the word of God and that brings added joy as I listen to the other lectors knowing the meaning that this ministry has for them as it does for me.
    Being a lector helps me to appreicate the Wrod of God by contemplating it deeply in private reflection so that hopefully, when I read these words to the congregation their true meaning can come through with clarity.

7. Lorna on March 14, 2017 at 13:56

Worship is the sustaining love of God given to me. The ability to worship through Church Sunday Worship and times of prayer, singing, reading scripture is my gift to God, which in turn continues to nourish and challenge me in my life. Then I take this love out of the Church to share with others.

8. Bryan Cook on March 14, 2017 at 11:41

I have been blessed to have five lovely persons who either asked the right questions, challenged or comforted me and changed my life.
    The first asked “have you really looked at how advertiesments are designed to sell their product? I became much more aware of how I could be influenced.
    The second asked “have you really stopped to look at and listen to the miracles of Nature” ? I have been inquisitive of and enraptured by these miracles ever since.
    The fifth Challemged me to “go and experience many religions”. I came to realise that, fundamentally, religions teach the same message, except those of a cultic nature. So why should there be discord?
    The fouth comforted me ” You can only do your best and that is good enough”. I have been comforted ever since.
    The fifth challenged me with ” what a f…g waste of a good person,” I have been sober and in touch with my feelings ever since.
    These five persons were the voices of God; we all can be His Voice.

9. Rhode on March 14, 2017 at 07:55

in the pentecostal church of my youth the sacrament of communion was held once a month. it was a day i looked forward to …or not depending on how badly i thought i had sinned….because i knew i would feel convicted during that beautiful rite. the songs seemed more stirring on those sundays, the praise and thanksgiving more heartfelt…people wept openly as our pastor reminded us of Chists’ broken body and the reason for his sacrifice. as i held the tiny glass of grape juice, the broken piece of matzoh i remember feeling deep kinship with everyone partaking at the same time. i loved communion so much it was a major drawing point for joining the anglican community after i had moved away from my hometown. now, i have the ability of partaking in this sacrament each time i worship! It has been 30 plus yrs and i still feel that special nearness of gods grace during communion, that my sins are forgiven… that i can go forth every week and be forgiving.