Week 2 Day 6: Jesus, the Risen Lord

“When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week …Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.”
John 20:19,20

Jesus, the Risen Lord

-Br. Geoffrey Tristram

Transcript:

“The Word became flesh.” What difference has that made in your life? It certainly utterly changed the lives of those first disciples. Listen to these words: “When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’” I love that story. The image of those disciples frightened and huddled together. The great 17th century divine Lancelot Andrews used the phrase, he said, “They were drooping in a corner.”

Well, into that sad place Jesus breaks through, into the place and into their lives, the Risen Lord comes into their midst. The Lion of the tribe of Judah breaks into their lives and bounds into their midst with joy, and with hope, and with peace. And that same Lion of Judah breaks into the locked places of our lives and our hearts. It breaks into our fears, into our sins, our despair, and stands in our midst and says to us, “Peace be with you.”

When Christ breaks into our lives – the Risen Christ – nothing is out of bounds. Everything is open and ready to be transformed and transfigured by his risen life. And I think the challenge is for us to leave the locked places of our lives, the familiar and the comfortable, and to always be ready and open to embrace the new life that Christ is always hoping and longing for us.

And so two questions today perhaps. First of all, “Where are the locked places of your life?” And secondly, when the Lion of Judah – Aslan, the Risen Christ – bounds into your life and says, “Come, follow me,” will you say yes?

We invite you to share your answer in the comments below or using #MeetingJesus

1. Mary Anderson on March 8, 2018 at 10:42

“Where are the locked places of your life?” The locked places in my life are hidden by the distractions that I choose to pay attention to instead of listening to Jesus.

“Come, follow me,” will you say yes? I know that I am a disciple of Christ. I do follow Jesus, and I do get lost at times. It’s good to know, and sometimes hard to remember, that Jesus is always with me, I pray that I can look past the distractions and see that he’s there to guide me, to give me strength and to love me always. Amen.

2. Jaan Sass on March 5, 2018 at 09:22

I love the image Aslan in the CS Lewis’s Narnia books. I think the best is when the children ask I think it was beavers is he a tame lion and response no of course not he is wild but kind and gentle. We have been reading the Bible in 90 days at church and currently going through some of the bloodiest and law-ridden books of the bible. I too struggle with these images, but then I remember that Christ is the touchstone the one who changed everything forward and backward. The progression from a people scared frightened set apart to more just laws until the coming of Christ and something happens the Lion breathes on his disciples. It has not changed everything, but the world with all of its craziness is still not as barbaric as it was in the ancient world. In that, I sigh because the lion of Judah loves me. Maybe that is my locked door that fear of God and others fuels my depression. Perhaps the Lion as scary as he is my only hope.

3. James Rowland on February 25, 2018 at 23:34

I have thought about this for several days. Yes, there is a locked place in my life and it is huge.And if I am to follow Christ, this place must be unlocked, set free, and surrrendered.
    I no longer have the incumberance of telling myseld that I am substandard. I am free.

• Theresa Mae on February 28, 2018 at 21:35

In my darkest saddest loneliest time when I felt most lost and abandoned my Lord found me I yelled at God I told him he was not loving he was not real you can’t care for me or you would not torture me and let me be in so much pain he found me in the dark behind my tears he gave me love and accepted me even after I acted like a child throwing a tantrum because I was not getting my way the lord gave me a better way not the sugar I wanted and craved but the nourishment I need for him to be real then to rise and me.

• Susan Simmons on March 4, 2018 at 18:48

God must love it when we finally find the courage to “get real” with him! I have withheld the ugly me from him for far too long…as if he doesn’t know about it already. I am only beginning to tread this path. Your words inspire.

4. Ginga Graves on February 25, 2018 at 18:30

I too love the image of the Lion of Judah…bounding into their (my) midst. I think of the gentle sound of the four pads (not claws) in the accurate landing; and my initial stunning response softening to gratitude as I (again) realize the power and strength of His breaking through, is in joy, hope and peace for me.

5. David John Drew on February 25, 2018 at 10:21

Lord Jesus, I know that many disbelieve the claims that you made about yourself, and doubt the testimony of the disciples and your witnesses. But, as you said, “By the fruits all things will be known…” – You gave a demonstration of your power to overcome death, through the crucifixion and your resurrection to the first of your followers, and yet you were not angry or dismissive of their unbelief… you were understanding, compassionate, patient and you gave them your peace. Then, they saw you in a new light, as the Risen Lord, the true manifestation of your glory as the ‘Christ’ and the Light of the World… revealed to them in the darkness of their despair. When they truly believed that everything had come to an end, your unlocked their minds with a spiritual and heavenly key. You opened their minds.

My Lord and my God, you transcended death and led a sure and certain path to eternal life for all that have clarity of vision, with ears to hear, with a foundation of firm faith and believe in you. Just as you overcome death, you also transcend the limitations of human reason – all that we call rational or reasonable or logical. Yes, you rise above all these things, you have broken the chronological and the systematic, you cut through the sensible and the plain ordinary and infused them with the amazing and miraculous, you have turned the world upside down and brought heaven to earth – to prove your omniscience in all things.

O Christ, just as you walked through a firmly bolted door to greet your disciples quivering and moaning in darkness with your word of peace, you possess the ability to move through the closed minds of disbelievers, skeptics and doubters, those who deny your existence at all, they who proclaim with arrogance, “Where is your God, who is going to save you from death?”

Lord, I can say that I know, see and feel your presence. Every week on the first day at Communion at Church we meet in the simple supper of bread and wine. The bread that is your body, and the wine that is your essential life force,

“The Body of Christ, the Bread of Heaven… the Blood of Christ, the Cup of Salvation…”

Lord Jesus, I came to realize and understand, through the profound life-cycle of the wheat seed, and the grape – from germination, birth, growth, maturity and harvesting, death, and then the transformation of their substance into bread and wine… then further becoming infused with the Spirit, I realized how they embodied your life – both flesh and the Divine, the marriage of Earth and Heaven.

Lord, I am grateful for the treasure of these immense gifts you have bestowed on us all. I too rejoice when I meet you in the Eucharist, week after week, inspired by your sacred presence and love.

+ Amen

Pax – David

6. Irma Crepps on February 25, 2018 at 06:08

Suffering as expressed in previous comments can cause us to doubt Jesus. This suffering had been questioned in all religions and in all times. Try to remember that this is not heaven on earth, although we see glimpses of heaven when we are aware of God’s presence and gifts. Heaven and God’s glory are much greater than we can comprehend. Like a newborn comprehending the magnificent earth. I stopped asking “why” and accepting Jesus’ plan long ago. God is good. He has a plan for us all and there is a reason under the sun for all that happens. It is ok to doubt, giving those doubts to Jesus through prayer, through faith will ultimately prevail bringing inner peace and understanding.

7. Dianne on February 24, 2018 at 23:19

I liked the Lion of Judah as an image of the Resurrected Christ bouncing into the huddled drooping dark corners of his beloved followers & friends in their locked down places. A lion…an image of a predator…like the lions in Daniel’s Den…transfigured & transformed …not coming in roaring & growling….but bouncy & joyous…like a big animated Husky dog … bouncing around in the deep glistening snow … drawing me out of lock down in my apartment afraid if I step outside I might slip & fall & damage my knee replacements… but attracted to viewing & experiencing & participating in winter’s delights …& capturing some images with my digital camera … & travelling to a Vigil of Presence with the extended family & friends of a beloved indigenous child who was lost in predatory violence…being drawn out by Aslan…the Lion of Judah…to be a solid caring compassionate presence … in the family’s grief…amidst the glistening white sparkling snow. Aslan…a solid presence in grief….Aslan….a joyous bouncing playful animated being…melting the ice…the cold…the ossification…& bursting forth into flowering, birthing, blooming spring….springing…bouncing…animated Aslan….Aslan the Lion of Judah…a Prince of Peace…a solid presence of undefeatable non violence in the face of cruel predatory violence. Aslan. Life is not defeated by Death. Life keeps bursting forth.

• Ann on February 26, 2018 at 00:53

Aslan well portrayed in Sinclair Lewi’s book the Lion the Witch the Wardrobe in the series The Chronicles of Narnia. Yes it is there in full in these stories so loved by children and adults alike. The many facets of the Lion.

• Dianne on February 26, 2018 at 11:29

Aslan…
      or rather a circle of warrior women … lionesses … a solid presence
      in grief…a burning presence … on fire … melting the ice…the
      cold…breaking open the entombed…a solid unbroken circle of
      undefeatable non violence in the face of cruel predatory violence.
      Grandmothers, mothers, daughters, invoking the spirits of their
      warrior women, grieving, drumming, chanting, wailing, shouting,
      resisting, reclaiming sacred sanctuary & space in sacred ceremony for their
      children, to the seventh generation.
      “Rest in peace Colten & Tina. Rise in Rage”.
      Life is not defeated by Death.
      Life keeps bursting forth.
      February 23 2018 was Aboriginal Justice Awareness Day in Manitoba.
      Many of us walked in honour of Tina Fontaine.
      Contemplative Meditation on the Risen Lord
      Meeting Jesus in John Week 2 Day 6 February 23 2018

8. Connie on February 24, 2018 at 21:14

9. Pamela Post- Ferrante on February 24, 2018 at 20:32

During Lent in the past, I always felt a great sadness .
    This year, I do not. I think it is because the offerings of the Brothers are all held in the Gospel of John and love. I feel the love. Thank you SSJE!

10. Maureen on February 24, 2018 at 06:34

Todays words indicate the chance for liberation is at hand. Time to make a choice. Either continue existing in “lock-down mode”, controlled by feelings of fear, guilt, unworthiness. Or bravely accept the Master’s invitation “Follow me”, thus truly begin to live. So with courage, perseverance, I choose to walk His transformative path that brings renewal and peace.

11. Patimary on February 24, 2018 at 02:25

Thank you. Thank you. My husband and beloved of 55 years died One year ago Easter Eve this year. My locked door is more like one off it’s hinges and leaning against the wall. Come, Lord Jesus, with your peace. I am grateful for your words.

12. Bobbi on February 24, 2018 at 01:41

These two questions are woven together. If I want to say yes, to “Come, follow me,” I have to address the locked places in my life. I know some of the places, but I must admit to myself that there are also locked places hidden within me that I don’t know exist. It takes humility and a willingness to sit outside the door of those locked places to wait for God and then enter with Him. It takes a daily commitment to prayer, meditation, Bible study and other spiritual reading every day.

13. Patricia Barnes on February 24, 2018 at 01:16

May I make time this day to truly ponder the locked places of my life – and to beg Jesus to open them and release me from pain – physical and mental.

14. Mary on February 23, 2018 at 23:39

Jesus is opening my understanding about a locked place in my life. I am in awe, never having seen the whole picture over the many years. Thank You, Lord Jesus, for continually “bounding into my life” always with blessing.
    Will I continue to follow You?

15. James on February 23, 2018 at 22:50

“Peace be with You”

I always thought that Jesus meant calm, quiet, and courage when He said “Peace be with you”. It’s only today that I truly realized that the peace He wishes to give us is Himself. Afterall, Jesus is the Prince of peace as we find in Isaiah 9:6. He wants to be with us even if it means He needs to barge in and disrupt our quiet desperation as He did with his disciples.

When we accept Jesus as the Prince of peace, we not only receive His peace, which surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7), but we also enter into an intimate relationship with a Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, and Everlasting Father.

All I can say is Hallelujah!

Lord, help us today to live supernaturally; in a way for which only you can be the explanation. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

16. Jim on February 23, 2018 at 20:10

I glance outside on this foggy February morning and see the first traces of spring stirring in the natural world of Coastal Virginia. Our northern hemisphere’s coincidental juxtaposition of springtime and Lent always serves as a brilliant reminder of the work of the ever present Creator God in our midst. The Risen Christ appears in our landscape and in our hearts.

• Bishop Hollywood on February 23, 2018 at 22:50

It had to be the most awesome experience to bear witness to Jesus three days after he was crucified, standing in front of them,alive and well. Then to see the bruises and nail prints right there in front of you. If that alone didn’t tell any one who he was, then nothing else would. I truly understand why the Apostles preached and taught the way they did, after they received the Holy Spirit. They didn’t just have two unseen faith,by going by what Jesus said was going to happen to him but they had first hand visual faith in what Jesus said and did.

17. Susan on February 23, 2018 at 18:51

I am so bound by my recent struggle with cancer. It was swift but it was violent. I paid a high price for my life to be saved. I ask the Lord
    to come to me and say Peace be with you. How much do I need peace? Have mercy on me, Lord Jesus!
    Use my broken body as you will.

18. Suzanne Haraburd on February 23, 2018 at 18:26

May God give me strength to become aware of the locked places in my life, the one’s that are so frightening, I suppressed the memory of them long ago.

19. Bryan Cook on February 23, 2018 at 18:18

When will the Lion of Judah bring that peace to the slaughter in the Middle East, just one of many which have characterised the history of mankind? I just do not understand why the Lord allows such horrors to continue. It shakes my faith; it is the “elephant in my spiritual life”. Do the Brothers have an wisdom to guide me on this ? Did he give us our free will recognising that it is a two-edged sword of faith and of destruction; of good and of evil? I am very confused.

• Ruth West on February 24, 2018 at 04:56

Bryan, if there were only peace and good will on earth, none of us would struggle against evil in ourselves and others. The devil is loose on the earth. He is seeking us “as a roaring lion” ready to devour us spiritually. Why did Jesus die on the cross? To make a way of deliverance, as one scripture states, “to make a way of escape.” I, too, am so troubled by all the sinful acts such as the wars, school shootings, vehicles running down people, stabbings… all the breaking of the commandments. Our prisons are full and running over with lawbreakers. But each of us has been given free will. We can choose good over evil, Christ over Satan. A new day is coming when the devil will be bound. Peace will prevail, when there will be a new heaven and a new earth.

20. marta engdahl on February 23, 2018 at 18:00

It is True! God/Jesus/Holy Spirit breaks through! I have been struggling for many years to get financial paperwork done due to recovery from brain surgery. Now, it is a Must. So, I have prayed, increased my spiritual readings, and struggled. Where I was “stumped”, answers came into my head, and a friend helped. And I just kept praying and working, not sure it would work, but sure that there was no other source. And it is working! Praise God, Jesus came and has been with me.

21. marta engdahl on February 23, 2018 at 17:55

It is True! God/Jesus/Holy Spirit breaks through! I have been struggling for many years to get financial paperwork done due to recovery from brain surgery. It is a Must. So, I have prayed, increased my spiritual readings, and struggled. Where I was “stumped”, answers came into my head, and a friend helped. And I just kept praying and working, not sure it would work, but sure that there was no other source. And it is working! Praise God, Jesus came and has been with me.

22. John David Spangler on February 23, 2018 at 17:06

I do not know where all the locked places in my life are, but I do know that there are such places. I try to keep them unlocked and to say “yes” to the invitation, “Come follow me”. With God’s help, I do succeed some of the time; however, I can only do so with His help. That help is freely given, often before we ask for it. As with all the meditations, I thank Brother Tristram for his wise and beautifully expressed thoughts and for the continued support of all the Brothers and for the continuing support of the blssed company.

23. Bev Cone on February 23, 2018 at 16:55

Where are the “locked places” in my life? I know where some of them are. I unlocked one last week, and opened a new door.
    I’m unlocking another now. Two new things in my life………….thank you, Keith, for the prayer above asking for strength from Jesus to go forward.

24. Keith Aldred on February 23, 2018 at 15:40

May we be open to Christ and ask for the strength to go forward with Him day by day.