SSJE in Texas

SSJE is coming to Dallas!  Two brothers will be offering separate programs in Dallas in the coming months:  Br. David Vryhof, SSJE will be offering workshops and preaching at St. Michael & All Angels, Dallas, February 23-25.  Br. Keith Nelson will be offering a program at the Church of the Transfiguration, Dallas, March 16-18.

1. Suzanne Crawford on March 14, 2019 at 08:47

Darkest moment and letting God in…..well for me I do not remember ever not letting God in. As a child I would often see myself as one of those children that were illustrated in children’s Bibles. Jesus would be sitting on a bench or tree stump and the little children would be at his feet…everyone was smiling and everyone was happy. I saw myself as one of those children. It wasn’t until I was 12 that the ‘big moment’ presented itself. I was in the school dining room with my gal pals, with whom at age 67 we are all still tight! Anyway they were all in the accelerated class and I was not. The top of creation was being discussed. My gal pals come from many religious backgrounds….Christian, Jew, etc. most of the girls had a scientific explanation for creation. Then they all turned to me. I told them Jesus created the world. The next question was, “Well, how do you know. You can’t See Him”. My response was, “Faith!” The discussion ended. To this day when those discussions arise, my response is still theological. Something like,” we are on a journey”, I pray. God will take care of it…..or “you may not see it in your life time but Jesus will take care of it…faith, faith, faith….and in my darkest times, I go to Him and I still stumble and fall and wail and I go back to Him again, again, and again!

2. Suzanne Crawford on March 12, 2019 at 07:18

Hannah,

I have not written my letter to God….yet. I was struggling with what I wanted to say. In the past nine months I have experienced three major losses. And most recently I have begun to question my faith and trusting God. I have prayed about the loss and in the past two weeks prayed continuously about my trust and faith. After reading your thoughts on your letter to God, I am now motivated to write my letter and express my thoughts….fear, loss, faith, and trust. Thank you for being that catalyst. Blessings of peace and love to you. Suzanne

3. Jane Buttery on March 8, 2019 at 22:55

This year I am reading the whole Bible as our Bishop Linda Nichols suggested. I have deliberately set aside time to read before praying. The readings have opened me to the way God is so proactive. As you said today, He created light and the circumstances we need to live. I have been teaching Genesis before Lent and I see Noah, Abram, Jacob and Joseph listening for God’s voice. Abraham goes to a new land because he is convinced that God wants him to make the journey, Noah built the ark and Jacob dreams of challenging God until he is blessed. Joseph recognises God’s plan in letting him get sent to Egypt. Read so often day by day,I found the adventure exciting again and tried to convey this to our group.. I see them smiling more and socialising with new people. We make them welcome and talk about ways to show kindness.

4. Debbie Golwas on August 31, 2018 at 15:11

As in any garden, it is necessary to keep the weeds at bay so that the plants have a chance to grow. The lesson I take away from this is to ask myself what type of weeds, the things that stop me from growing, need to be removed from my life. The conclusion I came to was the weed of negativity. So, I am in the process of eliminating relationships that are negative. This requires that I keep a constant vigil on the weeds that creep into my garden.

5. Debbie Golwas on August 31, 2018 at 15:01

The way in which I will find support and structure for my seeds to grow in my rule of life is through prayer. God is my center. Therefore I have set a time of day, early morning hours, to meditate. I start my day off with meditation therefore setting the tone for my day to start.

6. Marian L on July 12, 2018 at 21:01

Nothing in nature is perfect, neither are humans. Nature has predictably and cycles as does our lives. We know there should be celebratory milestones and times of sorrow and grief, there will be times of abundance and times of need. If we observe nature, we see how it withers and flourishes, rejuvenated and dies. Our lives are much the same, we must honor each phase and experience. The future will come and with it something new and different. Embracing the joy and the sorrow in life and holding on to the hope of the future mirrors the fallow and abundance of nature.

7. Marion Jessop on May 8, 2018 at 06:42

I am visiting Florida and we recently went to Ft Myers Beach. My children and their partners and I had little goggles and were able to see some underwater life. We saw live starfish and sand dollars and crabs in their natural habitat. We were awestruck at these beautiful creations and at the beauty of the beach, its’ powdery white sand and gorgeous view.
    God is Good. Amen.